What to say and how to say it,
so that people will tell others about you.
Ask any successful professional where their best clients come from and they’ll all tell you the same thing:
“Word of mouth.”
Not newspaper ads, not social media, not Google ad words.
Not cold calling, not sponsorships, not networking.
Not any of that. If you’re a professional service provider, it’s word of mouth, every time.
Which, of course, makes sense: The best clients are those who come to you on the suggestion of a trusted friend or colleague.
It’s better for them, because there’s less risk in hiring a “friend of a friend.”
And it’s better for you, because those who arrive via word of mouth are more likely to be a good fit for who you are and what you do.
The thing is, most professionals view word of mouth as a “fortunate coincidence.” Like finding ten dollars on the street, it’s great when it happens, but there’s nothing you can do to make it happen more often.
Or is there????
My entire business, for 17 years, has been word of mouth-based. I do nothing – zero – that involves chasing strangers.
And I never have. Never spent a cent on advertising; never made a cold call; pay no attention to my search engine rankings.
Instead, I focus my marketing entirely on word of mouth: staying in front of the people I know and CLEARLY AND CONCISELY EXPLAINING WHO I AM AND WHAT I DO. (I put that in all caps on purpose.)
You see, what I’ve discovered is that word of mouth, while unpredictable, is not about luck.
Rather, by clearly and consistently describing what you do – and in a way that others can understand, remember and share – you can significantly (I said significantly) boost both the volume and the frequency of inbound referrals, to you.
That’s what this one-hour webinar is all about. It’s about the words you use to describe the work you do.
Do it well, and people happily and effectively share you with others.
Do it poorly, and they forget who you are before you’re even done speaking.
In this small (25 person max), interactive class, I’ll show you how making a few essential changes and improvements to the way you describe your work will vastly increase your word of mouth.
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- The principles of word of mouth marketing
- Why shiny elevator statements don’t work (and what to say instead)
- Why capability and experience have nothing to do with generating word of mouth
- Why narrowing your business focus is essential
- Why being impressive and being remembered are not the same thing
- Why how you describe what you do should never match what you actually do
- Why word of mouth demands over-simplification
- How most people (unknowingly) prevent others from spreading the word about them
- The simple, 3-step, word of mouth formula that you’ll never forget
This webinar is filled with real life examples and hands-on exercises that we will do together during the class session. The class is small and the sessions are unmuted, leaving time and space for questions and feedback.
Total tuition? $49.00. Not a bad investment for something that will fundamentally change the way you market your business.
I hope to webinar you there,
Founder and Often-Referred Professional
Blue Penguin Development
P.S. Can’t make it to the live class? No problem, go ahead and sign up anyway. We will be recording the entire thing (audio and visual) and all registered participants will receive a link to the recording and all the slides within 24 hours after the session is over.
Huge thanks for the program on word-of-mouth marketing, very worthwhile. I’d like to share why I will continue to attend your webinars and recommend your offerings to others in my networks:
- It’s easy. The pre-course communications rock! You make it so easy to register and pay, and then, to log into the webinar API.
- We get jargon-free ideas we can apply today. Bonus: It’s well-paced, often funny, a nutritional break for the mind.
- We learn from other solo pros we’d probably never meet in person, and this helps us feel connected to others. (That is the only thing I miss about my decision to leave corporate life, that community of purpose.)
Once again, thanks so much.
Til next time,
British Columbia, Canada
“What a wonderful seminar! What a life-changing hour! Michael, your seminar has made it all come together.”
“I simply loved the class. I am always appreciative of Michael’s ability to focus like a laser beam on one aspect of your marketing.”
“Michael Katz was great. I’d like to bottle his knowledge for use on a daily basis. The webinar was very well done and seamless. Thanks!!”